What is subtle?¶
subtle is a manual tiling window manager with a rather uncommon approach of tiling: Instead of relying on predefined layouts, subtle divides the screen into a grid with customizeable slots (called gravities). For better understanding, the default config uses a 3x3 grid and maps each gravity to one key of the numpad. With those keys, windows can be moved directly to the desired gravity - the same can be done with tagging rules in the config.
Another unique concept is the strict tagging: Unlike other tiling window managers, subtle doesn't allow weak tagging and always maps windows to virtual desktops (called views) with matching tags, regardless of the current active view.
- Builtin system tray
- Extendable builtin panel (see sublets)
- Customizeable key/mouse actions (see grabs)
- Focus on scripting (Ruby - see rdoc and subtlext)
- Commandline client (see subtler)
- Extended window tagging
- Compliance (EWMH / ICCCM / MWM / XDG Base Directory)
- Multihead support (Xinerama / XRandR)
Where to start?¶
In case you want to help but don't know how, please help with some documentation and improve the wiki or make a donation. Patches, suggestions and open discussions are always welcome.